Sunday 2 March 2014

The Project Manager


I follow a variety of blogs that offer ‘advice’ to independent artists, all of which pretty much offer the same advice, but the other day I actually came across something new. Not only was it some new advice but it was actually some good advice as well.

I often get asked “should we get a manager?” and for the most part the artists asking me this aren’t at the point in their career where they need a manager. For the most part, this perceived need for a manager comes from having to manage a variety of different things that some individuals may find hard to do, tiresome or just don’t have the patience for. They don’t need a manager, just someone to take some of the tasks off their plate so they can focus on the ‘important’ things or in some cases what they think are the important things.

The new concept that I was introduced to me in the blog was for artists to get a “Project Manager”. What makes a project manager different from a manager is this role is more of a point-person in charge of projects, ensuring all important events are well-planned, efficiently organized, professional and effectively run. This role could assist in a variety of projects, CD release events, tours, video launch parties, radio distribution and promotion, what ever and where ever the band could use some help or even guidance.

Now the guys who run this blog/podcast just happen to also provide artists with these services, but I don’t fault them for using their blog to, maybe even unintentionally, promote themselves. Technically seeing how I offer similar services, posting about it myself is also a little bit of self-promotion, but in the end I (and the individuals who posted this blog) firmly believe that this is an area where artists can use some help and guidance. Bringing a project manager on board can help alleviate stress and ensure the little things that NEED to get done, get done. 

The podcast goes on to share tips and ideas to help on working with a project manager smoothly, even suggesting some apps that can also help with project management. You can view the blog/podcast here.

If you’d like to know more about what a project manager can do for you, let me know, I’d love to talk about it further (yes…another shameless plug).


No comments:

Post a Comment