Friday 22 August 2014

Nashville Crue

I'm a big Motley Crue fan. They're one of the main reason I work in the music industry, one of the main reason I wanted to be a rock star.

Over the years I've not only bought every album they've released, but I've also bought all their solo and side projects and being the completist that I am, this week when Nashville Outlaws: A Tribute To Motley Crue was released, I went down to the HMV and bought it.

I'll admit, it was a somewhat reluctant purchase. I purposely didn't listen to it online, worried that it might taint my buying decision or sway me to not pick it up at all and I honest put the CD in the player in my car, completely expecting to hate it.

Much to my surprise, I didn't.

Yes, there were some tracks that were exactly what I expected. Really bad country versions of Crue songs, a couple of which I really had to listen to, to try and figure out what the original song was...like Aaron Lewis's version of "Afraid". The biggest disappointment being The Mavericks version of "Dr. Feelgood", the one track I actually was hoping would have a really cool transition to country. Not sure what The Mavericks were thinking when they decided to put the stamp they did on "Dr. Feelgood".

But aside from the tracks that met my low expectations, there were some big stand out tracks that I not only enjoyed, but actually got excited about. Musically, "Kick Start My Heart", "If I Die Tomorrow", "Girls, Girls, Girls" and "Wildside" were respectful to the original rock anthem roots and if it wasn't for a banjo or fiddle in a couple of them, you may have assumed it was a rock band covering the track.

If you would've told me that Lzzy Hale from the metal band Halestorm sang the lead on "Wildside" I would've believed you...but it wasn't Lzzy. It was Gretchen Wilson belting out the track.

The biggest surprise for me was "Live Wire" The reworked lead guitar riff The Cadillac Three used was a great take on one of my favourite Crue tunes. I liked their version so much, I actually found myself wondering what a rock band would sound like doing a rock version of The Cadillac Three's version of "Live Wire"

In the end, as I mentioned I have always been a huge Motley Crue fan...but that being said, probably one of the things I enjoyed most about Nashville Outlaws: A Tribute To Motley Crue was being able to understand all of the lyrics. Sorry Vince.


No comments:

Post a Comment